Fort Sullivan Powder House
This Powder House, from the war of 1812, is slowly disappearing and
we need your help to raise the funds needed to restore
this very important part of our history.

Please use this form
to make a very much appreciated donation.
THEN
NOW
A four-year occupation was started in 1814 which saw Eastport and a large portion of eastern Maine
either occupied by or under threat of occupation by the British. During that time Eastport became
part of New Brunswick, Canada, and the British Empire. On that July day the Stars and Stripes was
lowered from the flagpole at Fort Sullivan to be replaced by the Union Jack. Even after word of peace
reached England in February, 1815, British forces remained in Eastport, which they insisted had
always been a part of New Brunswick.  This territory was returned to the United States by the
Treaty
of
Ghent. The U.S. Senate unanimously approved the treaty on February 16, 1815, and President
James Madison exchanged ratification papers with a British diplomat in Washington on February 17;
the treaty was proclaimed on February 18 and fighting immediately stopped when news of the treaty
finally reached the United States.

Fort Sullivan and the Powder Magazine sites contain archeological remains and, as it was for the small
band of American defenders, offer amazing views of the passage taken by the invading armada.